We often get asked about the history of our building—the Commission Building. It has an exciting past and was once used as a cold-storage produce warehouse. Built in 1906 in Spokane’s original Warehouse District, soon after the Washington Cracker Company building to the west, the Rasher-Kingman-Herrin Co. originally occupied all floors of the two-story building including the basement.
The building was later used for Roundup Grocery, then finally IGA, before becoming private business condos. The front of the building originally faced the north near the train tracks and is the side on which the name of the building appears near the roofline. The words, “Bananas, Oranges, Lemons” can still be faintly seen on the west side of the building. The Commission Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.